Camberwell Girls Grammar School was founded in February 1920.
Charged by the Archbishop of Melbourne, the Most Reverend Henry Lowther Clarke, the parishioners of St Mark’s Church in Camberwell embarked on a significant project.
Led by their Vicar, The Reverend Hubert Brooksbank, they established St Mark’s Parish School.
Armed with just $1000, The Reverend Brooksbank built a brick hall for the School to operate from. Opening with just 8 pupils, both boys and girls, the School flourished. By 1925 there were 70 students and by 1926 the School had outgrown its home.
In late 1926, the School Council purchased ‘Torrington’, one of the nearby gracious homes.
With frontage to both Torrington and Woodstock Streets, the property was in an ideal position. The grounds were beautiful and the main building had great potential to be a school.
Over the 1926 Christmas holidays, the Council members and families worked on the Torrington property. In February 1927, the School moved to its new home.
In November 1964, Ormiston Girls’ School, the oldest girls’ school on the Australian mainland and the oldest in Victoria, accepted the offer to merge with Camberwell Girls Grammar School. The following year, the two schools came together as one.
The School has thrived and grown to become one of Australia’s leading independent school for girls.
Remarkably, there have only been six Principals in the School’s rich 99 year history.
Miss Louisa Taylor
1927 – 1959
Miss Dorothy Hall
1959 – 1973
Miss Barbara Sutton
1973 – 1988
Dr Barbara Fary
1989 – 2000
Mrs Anne Feehan
2001 – 2014
Mrs Debbie Dunwoody
2014 – Current